Just when it seemed like it would be the perfect timing for Arsenal to raid the Stamford Bridge, Chelsea won by 4-0 and Arsenal lost by 1-2 their respective Champions League fixtures to suggest there might still be a possibility of Chelsea’s revival. For a change, Chelsea vs Arsenal will be a must-win battle for José Mourinho rather than Arsène Wenger.
1. Despite recent success, Chelsea (21 wins against Arsenal) trails behind Arsenal (24 wins against Chelsea) in the Premier League era.
2. During Roman Abramovich’s reign in Stamford Bridge, Chelsea clearly dominated Arsenal by winning 50% of the Head-to-head games. Arsenal couldn’t even manage to score an average of 1 goal every game (31 goals in 32 games).
3. During José Mourinho’s both stints with Chelsea, Arsenal record went from bad to worse. Gunners have managed just one win against Chelsea that too in this 2015-16 campaign when Chelsea’s performance had hit rock bottom. Arsenal managed to score only 0.5 goals on average against Chelsea sides managed by the Special One.
4. In the last 18 years, Arsenal has never won Chelsea with a difference of more than 2 goals.
5. Coming to the current season, Chelsea are faltering in almost all avenues. Chelsea had shot 32% lesser shots and were shot at 80% more than Arsenal. Key statistic which will hurt Chelsea fans is that their former goalkeeper Petr Čech only allowed 16% of the shots on target to pass him whereas Thibaut Courtois and Asmir Begović were helpless to see 31% of the shots on target fire past them.