The most crucial match, which will decide the Champions League (CL) qualifying teams from England, will be played between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur on 8th May 2013. This match also marks the first return of Andre Villas-Boas to Stamford Bridge since his removal. Hence this match has all the ingredients to make the derby more exciting.
Current League Form: [Both the teams are equally giving a tough fight]
Chelsea has won 4 of their last 5 league matches adding spice to a tough top 4 fight. The Blues have 13 of the 15 possible points in the last 5 matches. Tottenham also remains unbeaten in their last 5 matches, but they have got 11 out of 15 possible points. With the CL spot fight getting intense, both the teams will try to perform one step better.
Home and Away Form: [Bridge form is the biggest hurdle for Spurs]
Chelsea has won all their last 6 home matches. The Pensioners, hence, are looking are very strong at the Bridge. Tottenham has got 10 points in their last 5 away matches. As for the away match records, this is a very good run. But with Blues seeming very strong at home, they have an upper hand.
Head-to-Head Form: [Bridge has never been conquered before]
Tottenham has never won a Premier League match at Stamford Bridge. This is crucial because, a draw will not help Tottenham in anyway. But Chelsea would be happy to avoid a defeat. Hence, Chelsea has an advantage in this aspect.
Player Form (Attack): [Both the teams are well equipped to fire]
Chelsea has scored every match in their last 8 league matches and in their last 7 home league matches. Tottenham has scored every match in their last 5 league matches and in their last 6 away league matches. Both the teams definitely look comfortable to score in this match.
Player Form (Defense): [Blues are more solid than White Lilies]
Blues has 3 clean sheets in their last 5 matches and are looking strong in their defensive form. Tottenham has kept only 1 clean sheet in their last 10 matches. Chelsea is the second least goals conceded team in the league this season. Tottenham is the highest goals conceding team among the top seven teams.
Step closer to touchline:
- Chelsea Win: Unless Arsenal makes a mistake in their last two matches, Chelsea and Arsenal will qualify for CL next season.
- Draw: Chelsea will still qualify with ease. Arsenal and Tottenham will fight till the last day for qualification.
- Tottenham Win: This will make the fight for top four really interesting. All the three teams will have to fight till last minute for their qualification.
Verdict: Chelsea has a very strong possibility to win based on the past form.
If you have any statistics related to this match, please post it in comments. It will be published in EPL Statistics.
- Chelsea v Tottenham preview: Rafa Benitez hints at Jose Mourinho return to Blues (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- Chelsea vs Tottenham: Stamford Bridge Clash Will Finally Shape Up Top Four Race (soccerwithoutlimits.com)