Gameweek 10 ended with just 18 goals, 6 clean sheets, 35 yellow cards, 2 red cards, 3 home wins, 5 draws and 2 home losses. Manchester City remained defeat-less and QPR & Reading remained win-less.
1. Manchester United defeated Arsenal by 2-1 as the bad run for Gunners at Old Trafford continues. The loss can be attributed to the defensive errors of Vermalean and the red carded reckless Jack Wilshere. Robin Van Persie refused to celebrate after he scored and that implies his respect towards his former club. Wayne Rooney missed a penalty just before the half-time (third penalty miss for Manchester United this season). The match ended with a brilliant strike from Santi Cazorla, but that wasn’t enough for the Gunners to equalize.
2. An unimpressive Tottenham Hotspurs were beaten at home by Wigan Athletic. Brad Friedel was selected up ahead of Hugo Lloris again and he again failed to keep a clean sheet in his ninth match. Spurs’ only cleansheet came from Lloris. Throughout the match, the performance of Spurs was not up to the mark and Wigan were the better side. Immediately after the goal, Defoe who has played in 10 matches with 5 goals and 3 assists to his name was substituted by Adebayor who has neither started a match yet nor scored in a match yet. And the substitution didn’t help the team either. Finally, Wigan won back-to-back matches to move to 13th position.
3. Swansea fought hard and played well to draw Chelsea by 1-1. Victor Moses registered his first goal from his first start of the season and Cahill registered his first assist of the season. Pablo Hernandez’s brilliant strike at 88th minute couldn’t be contained by Cech earning Swansea City a well deserved point.
4. Sunderland’s Martin O’Neil and Carlos Cuellar played their former club Aston Villa at the Stadium of Light. But they didn’t have much luck against the Villans as they are defeated 0-1. This is Aston Villa’s first away win of the season (came in the sixth away match).
5. Norwich City’s second win comes against Stoke City at home. Norwich has also kept their 2nd clean sheet in the 3 last matches showing a decent run of defense. This match has pushed Stoke City into 15th position in the table (their worst position so far in the season).
6. Everton recorded their fourth consecutive draw with 2-2 result at Craven Cottage. Fulham began the scoring with a brilliant free kick from Bryan Ruiz. Tim Howard could just get his hand past the ball to let it in the goal. Fellaini was on the score sheet after 3 matches with a brace. The match was finished with an equaliser from Fulham.
7. Manchester City hadn’t scored in a match for the time in the season with a 0-0 draw against West Ham and the result brought Man City’s 4 match winning streak to a halt. Another interesting fact is that Manchester City hadn’t committed a single foul in the game.
8. Queens Park Rangers and Reading haven’t been able to clinch their first victory with a 1-1 draw amongst them. They are the only teams without a win in the league now.
9. Newcastle returned from Anfield without a win for the 18th time as the match ended in a 1-1 draw. The interesting fact from this match is that Liverpool committed 10 fouls and ended up with no card whereas the Magpies fouled once and ended up with a red card.
10. Southampton continued their 3-match losing streak against West Brom, thanks to a brace from Peter Odemwingie. With this win, West Brom was well position at 5th in the table. Their home record is brilliant with 5 wins and a loss (second best in points/home game).
- Premier League: 10 talking points from this weekend’s action (footytube.com)
- Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 10: Open Thread (epltalk.com)