First of all, I want to do some marketing for the Facebook page ‘EPL Statistics‘ – an attempt to find out and share basic patterns and trends in English Premier League. Like the page if you like it.
28 goals were scored, 4 cleansheets have been maintained, 4 home teams won, 4 home teams drew and 2 home teams lost in this exciting Gameweek 9. The week also witnessed 4 red cards and weird refereeing decisions. The most craziest moment of the gameweek was the diving celebration of Luis Suarez in front of Everton bench.
1. Both Aston Villa and Norwich battled to keep ahead of the relegation pit and had shared the spoils of the battle with a 1-1 draw.
2. After a win-less drought of 6 matches, Wigan managed to win against West Ham with a 2-1 scoreline.
3. Stoke City and Sunderland battle it out for their ‘Most draws in a season?’ competition with a goal-less draw piling up their 6th draw in 9th and 8th match respectively.
4. Reading failed to register a single win in 8 matches as they drew with Fulham by scoring 3 goals each. The match was exciting with 5 goals scored in the last 30 minutes. The match also produced brilliant long range strikes from Mikele Leigertwood (Reading) and Bryan Ruiz (Fulham).
5. A draw for QPR was denied by an offside late goal by Mikel Arteta. Arsenal won the match 1-0 against a 10-men QPR and finished the week at 6th position in the table.
6. A stunning goal from Carlos Tevez, solid goalkeeping by Joe Hart and injuries to Michel Vorm (Swansea) and Micah Richards (Man City) featured in the dramatic 1-0 win for Man City against Swansea. This is the second cleansheet for the Citizens in 9 matches, but they are the only team in the league to remain undefeated.
7. Luis Suarez proved his worth once again by playing a role in both the goals for Liverpool. However they couldn’t contain Everton from leveling as Osman and Naismith scored before halftime. The match ended 2-2 to become the first merseyside draw after 12 years at Goodison Park.
8. Southampton is the most goal conceding team with 26 goals conceded in 9 matches. The next close team conceded 18 goals (8 short). Spurs contributed to this pie with 2 goals from Gareth Bale and Clint Dempsey. Tottenham are in a very good run with 5 wins in 6 matches putting them in 4th rank in the table. Their hunger and passion in the pursuit of Champions League football grows more and more every year.
9. Papiss Cisse scored his first goal of the season with a deflection from his back to record a win for Newcastle against West Brom in the extra time. Earlier Demba Ba scored a goal resulting in 8 goals out of 12 Newcastle goals coming just from him.
10. An amazing start to the match yielded Manchester United to score 2 goals in 12 minutes. However Chelsea became steady and came back with a wonderful free kick goal from Juan Mata and another goal from Ramires before 60 minutes. Then came the disaster for Chelsea in the form of a red card to Ivanovic for a challenge on Ashley Young. A red card to Torres for diving (second yellow) and an offside goal allowed for Chicharito hit Chelsea at the head and resulted in their first loss of the season.
Peep into important matches from Gameweek 10:
1. Manchester United vs Arsenal: With Manchester United winning last 3 matches and looking strong in attack and Arsenal recently struggling against Norwich and QPR, the match is set to be an entertaining one. Arsenal have to win it to keep up with teams like Spurs, Everton and Fulham whereas Manchester United have to win this match to mount more pressure on Chelsea and city rivals.
2. QPR vs Reading: A relegation zone battle. These two teams are the only teams who haven’t won a single match this season. A battle among them at least should produce a first win for one of the teams.
- Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 9: Open Thread (epltalk.com)
- English Premier League: Latest EPL Rumors, Preview and Predictions for Week 10 (bleacherreport.com)
- EPL 2012-13 Gameweek 8 “900 minutes of excitement” (arunsankar.wordpress.com)