Though Liverpool are in 7th position, they are still a big team. And, Spurs are on a brilliant form with win against heavyweights Arsenal and Inter Milan. With one playing for Champions League spot and the other playing for Europa League spot, the match is going to be the exciting match of the weekend.
Current Form: [Spurs cruising to the top]
Spurs are now undefeated in 12 matches and are in a very positive run of matches. Liverpool has 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss from their last 6 matches. Tottenham have a very strong advantage here.
Home and Away Form: [Spurs leads again]
In the last 5 home matches, Liverpool has won 4 and lost 1. Tottenham on the other hand remains undefeated in their last 6 away matches. Reds are with 12 points in 6 home games and Spurs are with 14 points in 6 away games now. Considering that playing away is difficult that at home, Spurs have an advantage here.
Head-to-Head Form: [Anfield is the only hope for Reds]
In the past 5 meetings, Tottenham has won 4 and the remaining one ended in a draw. In the last 5 matches at Anfield, Liverpool has won 2, Tottenham has won 1 and the rest 2 ended in draws. Home factor only could help Liverpool.
Player Form (Attack): [Both teams armored heavily]
In the last 14 games, Liverpool have scored in all but one match. In the last 2 matches, they have scored 9 goals. In the last 11 games, Luis Suarez has scored 11 goals. He is currently in his best form. Tottenham have scored in all but one match in their last 10 matches. Gareth Bale has scored 7 goals in his last 5 matches. Both the teams are heavily loaded in attack and are balanced.
Player Form (Defense): [Lack of defensive discipline]
Both teams have conceded 33 (Spurs) and 34 (Reds) goals this season and are quite the same in the defense. Liverpool have 2 clean sheets and Tottenham have 1 clean sheet in the last 5 matches. They are both expected to concede goals.
Directions in which the league might steer:
- Liverpool win: Europa league qualification fight will become intense. Tottenham might leave third place to Chelsea. Manchester City will move further up to affirm its position at second.
- Draw: Fight for third place will become intense between Spurs and Chelsea. Liverpool might start facing the pressure from Swansea for 7th position.
- Tottenham win: Manchester City will be pressurized to deliver results every match in order to avoid slip down. Liverpool might lose 7th position to Swansea.
Verdict: Tottenham Spurs have a very good possibility of winning this match.
If you have any statistics related to this match, please post it in comments. It will be published in EPL Statistics.
- Can Liverpool Contain Gareth Bale? (lfcboston.wordpress.com)
- Liverpool vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 6 Key Battles to Watch in Reds-Spurs (bleacherreport.com)