Time analysis on the goals conceded by the top 9 teams of Barclays Premier League tells us:
- Predominantly, most goals are conceded in the second half. This could be because the top teams generally are difficult to break and it takes a good amount of time for the opponent to build up and break the defense. These teams’ defense are mostly solid in first half and leaky in second half.
- Arsenal, Manchester City and Everton conceded almost 30% of their goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. Including the injury time as well, Arsenal and Manchester City have conceded 35% and 39% of their goals after 75 minutes of the game.
- Interestingly, 72% of goals conceded by Liverpool are from second half. Either they are very solid in defense in the first half or they are very ruthless in attack in the first half.
- Chelsea and Manchester United have been conceding many goals in the start of second half. It seems the half time pep talk of Jose Mourinho and David Moyes is counterproductive.
- Southampton is the only team to have conceded more than one-fourth of the goals in the first 15 minutes of the game.
- Liverpool and Southampton haven’t yet conceded in 31′ – 45′ and Manchester City hasn’t yet conceded in the first 15 minutes.
Combining this analysis with the Time Analysis on Goals scored by Top EPL teams gives interesting insights.
- For Arsenal and Everton, whenever they attacked more, they were more vulnerable and conceded more goals too.
- For Liverpool, the first half is for their attack and the second half is for their opponent to attack.
- For Chelsea, the last 15 minutes is the golden period for scoring as almost 30% of goals came from that.
- Tottenham’s 33% of goals came in the start of second half. Surprisingly, it seems Andre Villas Boas didn’t do bad in the half time talk, but he couldn’t help his defense conceding goals in all the periods. And Spurs haven’t yet scored in the first 15 minutes of the game.
- Newcastle United, Manchester United and Southampton have almost a similar pattern of goals scored in different periods. Their mid 60 minutes had most goals spread almost evenly.
An updated analysis diagram in shown below:
- Statistical Analysis: Arsenal’s Improvement This Season (footballbettingguide.net)
- 5 things to know about the Premier League (miamiherald.com)
- Premier League analysis – Big Influencers in Top 9 teams (eplstatistics.wordpress.com)